Earth - Petrified Maple Dragon

Earth and Wind creature design contest
Aflame
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Light
CreaturesTrade

Earth - Petrified Maple Dragon

Post by Aflame »

Excuse the mediocre drawing/image quality/leftover chicken scratchy notes/half-finished tree (drawing leaves is sooo tedious), I'm trying more to convey the concept of the critter rather than present an exact image. ^_^
http://tinypic.com/r/2up74m8/8

Bulky and awkward, the Petrified Maple Dragon (those are maple leaves, right?), at first glance, appears to be jumble of boulders with trees sprouting through cracks in the stone and roots emerging from the bottom. A sliver of something red and glinting shows from beneath the roots. The twin trees are red maples, arrayed in colors ranging from bright red to pale yellow.
However, once roused, the dragon reveals itself, a horned head drawing up from the rocks, and the branches shifting and rearranging into what appears to be wings. The roots of the tree retract and squirm slightly, appearing to be forelegs, with matching hind legs so stubby as to be amusing.
Upon closer inspection, one will notice that the boulders are in fact large chunks of petrified wood, and that the trees are not alive but, by some twist of nature, animated and mobile branches of the same material as the body. A trailing tail of stones drags behind the creature.
It is not known whether the wings feathered with leaves actually grant the dragon flight, though the creatures are so sedentary it's highly unlikely. They have no fear of any creature, being of massive size and secure in their ability to disguise themselves as a group of rocks.
Though few magi have encountered these beasts, by the best estimates of scholars, it is the red crystal embedded in the dragon's chest that provides it life. If one were to somehow remove it (an unthinkable inhumane act, considering how one would have to take a pickaxe to the creature), it is more than likely that the dragon would revert to a pile of rocks playing host to a pair of trees.
The Petrified Dragons themselves rarely show interest in matters that don't concern them, preferring to rumble around the patch of forest they inhabit and watch the goings-on of nature, or better yet, sleep.

Please do tell me what you think, it's been a while since I've drawn for something like this. ^.^
Image thank you for the amazing gifts <3Image
wishlist join the ms discord! my shop

MintyZedGrimes
CreaturesTrade

Re: Earth - Petrified Maple Dragon

Post by MintyZedGrimes »

I like this one. The wings are awesome :D
My Bread Buddy
~~~Image~~~

~~~~~~~~~

Kestrad
Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Kestrad »

Dude, this concept is awesome.
Kestrad has been eaten by life. She'll probably pop back in occasionally.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Keep story | Portal Guild | Graphics Shop
Please do not click my hatchlings. Thank you.
Avatar by Kingsfisher, sig art by herinbon
Aflame
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Herbalist's Guild Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Light
CreaturesTrade

Post by Aflame »

Thanks! I feel like the drawing doesn't do full justice to the idea I had, lol.

Blazen749
MagiStream Donor
Member of Artificer's Association
CreaturesTrade

Post by Blazen749 »

I know real countries aren't in the world of magi, but as a canandian i give my full support!

I'm more active on the Magistream discord.

4/25 Gifts

LTT/S/B In profile!

Aflame
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by Aflame »

Thanks! #mapleleaves4lyfe #spreadthehashtag

Return to “October 2014 Monthly Contest”