Favourite retro videogame

Come here, take a break, chat with friends about anything and everything.
Blank101
CreaturesTrade

Favourite retro videogame

Post by Blank101 »

Pokemon, Zelda, Mario and the not as popular Chronos Trigger. We've had our fair share of 8 bit bangers.
I remember spending many nights under the covers with a gameboy advanced emulator trying to catch them all on Pokemon FireRed
A bit of a blast to the past but whats your favourite retro videogame?

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
froglady
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Water
CreaturesTrade

Re: Favourite retro videogame

Post by froglady »

I had a Pong years before NES came along, then Atari (Centipede) and Colecovision (Venture). I love Squaresoft's NES and SNES titles (yes, including FF, ChronoTrigger and Secret of Mana). I also have fond memories of the Wild Arms and Golden Sun (GBA) series. Once I started caring for my elderly parents while working full-time from 2006-2015 I had almost no time to game, so I lost out on console games almost entirely and just never picked them back up. I played mostly mobile games on my lunch hour. I've been toying with the idea of getting back into consoles, but most of the good games that I remember seem to be available on Steam and I recently bought a controller for my PC so I could play more easily.
My join date says 2012, when I made an account I promptly forgot about until August 2023, so I'm really *gasp* a newbie. :)
I have no phobias or disliked critters. Feel free to click anything in my keep, except the "Quests" tab. I think you'll find plenty there without those 2 or 3.
darksouls
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Fire
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Post by darksouls »

Not entirely sure what counts as retro, but probably nothing I started out with... But as for ports, I still love the Classic Sonic games despite being horrifically bad at them. XD

... This makes me realise that one day games like Dark Souls (2011) are going to be considered retro and that gives me anxiety. XD
castlevania
MagiStream Donor
Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade

Post by castlevania »

this may be strange coming from me as ive never physically played most of these games myself- i have watched playthroughs of them on youtube videos (low energy & limited time after work to take care of other things, and a desire to see as many of these games as quickly as possible, made online playthroughs an accessible option for me)

the original NES final fantasy games are a classic (and their modern pixel remakes are very well done). i am currently watching a playthrough of final fantasy 6's pixel remaster

i also love the original castlevania games spanning all the way from the original on the NES, Symphony of the Night on the Playstation, to Curse of Darkness on the Playstation2 (my personal favorite). they are so nostalgic to me
π‘Žπ‘ π‘β„Žπ‘œ, 𝑖𝑑/β„Žπ‘’, π‘šπ‘¦ 𝑀𝑒𝑏𝑠𝑖𝑑𝑒: π”©π”²π” π”žπ”―π”‘ @ 𝔫𝔒𝔬𝔠𝔦𝔱𝔦𝔒𝔰
π–˜π–Žπ–Œπ–“π–†π–™π–šπ–—π–Š 𝖆𝖗𝖙: π‘›π‘œπ‘π‘’π‘–π‘‘π‘Ž

πŸ•ΈοΈ π–’π–ž π–˜π–™π–”π–—π–Š: 𝑒𝑏, 𝑔𝑏, π‘‘π‘œπ‘›π‘–π‘  π‘Žπ‘›π‘‘ π‘šπ‘œπ‘Ÿπ‘’
(π’“π’†π’”π’•π’π’„π’Œπ’†π’…: 8/2/24 price reduction on Riparian creatures)
πŸ•ΈοΈ π–™π–—π–†π–‰π–Šπ–˜: 𝑖. π‘–π‘ π‘œ π‘‘π‘–π‘œπ‘›π‘¦π‘β„Ž & π‘™π‘–π‘”β„Žπ‘‘ 𝑐𝑀𝑠

ImageImage
castlevania
MagiStream Donor
Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Void
CreaturesTrade

Post by castlevania »

darksouls wrote: ↑June 1st, 2024, 11:44:31 pm Not entirely sure what counts as retro, but probably nothing I started out with... But as for ports, I still love the Classic Sonic games despite being horrifically bad at them. XD

... This makes me realise that one day games like Dark Souls (2011) are going to be considered retro and that gives me anxiety. XD
i really want to get into dark souls! i unfortunately have intense motion sickness (bloodborne was a struggle for me to watch a playthrough of, but i am very passionate about it)- DS1 made me sick cery quickly, but i badly want to see its story and world. including every FromSoftware entry up to elden ring!
π‘Žπ‘ π‘β„Žπ‘œ, 𝑖𝑑/β„Žπ‘’, π‘šπ‘¦ 𝑀𝑒𝑏𝑠𝑖𝑑𝑒: π”©π”²π” π”žπ”―π”‘ @ 𝔫𝔒𝔬𝔠𝔦𝔱𝔦𝔒𝔰

πŸ•ΈοΈ π–’π–ž π–˜π–™π–”π–—π–Š: 𝑒𝑏, 𝑔𝑏, π‘‘π‘œπ‘›π‘–π‘  π‘Žπ‘›π‘‘ π‘šπ‘œπ‘Ÿπ‘’
(π’“π’†π’”π’•π’π’„π’Œπ’†π’…: 8/2/24 price reduction on Riparian creatures)
πŸ•ΈοΈ π–™π–—π–†π–‰π–Šπ–˜: 𝑖. π‘–π‘ π‘œ π‘‘π‘–π‘œπ‘›π‘¦π‘β„Ž & π‘™π‘–π‘”β„Žπ‘‘ 𝑐𝑀𝑠

ImageImage
darksouls
MagiStream Donor
Member of The Dark Brotherhood Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Fire
CreaturesTrade
Gender: Literally just six cats of varying gender identities sharing a suit of human skin

Post by darksouls »

castlevania wrote: ↑June 2nd, 2024, 2:50:32 pm i really want to get into dark souls! i unfortunately have intense motion sickness (bloodborne was a struggle for me to watch a playthrough of, but i am very passionate about it)- DS1 made me sick cery quickly, but i badly want to see its story and world. including every FromSoftware entry up to elden ring!
Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that! D: I actually had that problem with the Remaster on Steam... Because I was so used to seeing the game run at a lower framerate (I originally played it on the PS3), the upped framerate in the newer version made me dizzy. XD

Can you perhaps watch lore videos instead, or read a Wiki? :) There's LOTS of lore videos on YouTube that don't focus on gameplay footage.
castlevania
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by castlevania »

darksouls wrote: ↑June 2nd, 2024, 3:42:49 pm
Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that! D: I actually had that problem with the Remaster on Steam... Because I was so used to seeing the game run at a lower framerate (I originally played it on the PS3), the upped framerate in the newer version made me dizzy. XD

Can you perhaps watch lore videos instead, or read a Wiki? :) There's LOTS of lore videos on YouTube that don't focus on gameplay footage.
aw thank you! right, it really sucks to start to feel dizzy :lick: id absolutely love to try my hand at the difficulty involved in fromsoftware's difficulty, but my progress would be glacial with motion sickness forcing me to take frequent breaks

and definitely, thats a great idea! i have always been really fascinated by the amount of lore ive heard of in these games- i definitely need to watch and read more on those! i know zullie the witch is a great youtuber (not just for lore videos themselves, but also behind-the-scenes explanations of game mechanics which are very interesting ^.^ ) if there are any other good resources or youtubers you have to reccommend, id love to hear!

ImageImage
darksouls
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by darksouls »

castlevania wrote: ↑June 2nd, 2024, 5:38:35 pm aw thank you! right, it really sucks to start to feel dizzy :lick: id absolutely love to try my hand at the difficulty involved in fromsoftware's difficulty, but my progress would be glacial with motion sickness forcing me to take frequent breaks

and definitely, thats a great idea! i have always been really fascinated by the amount of lore ive heard of in these games- i definitely need to watch and read more on those! i know zullie the witch is a great youtuber (not just for lore videos themselves, but also behind-the-scenes explanations of game mechanics which are very interesting ^.^ ) if there are any other good resources or youtubers you have to reccommend, id love to hear!
To be fair, glacial progress is still progress! XD We hope you can find a way to enjoy the games if you really do want to.

Zullie's cool! I recommend a lot of VaatiVidya's older stuff, TerraMantis (not sure if they still make FromSoft lore videos but they have older ones) and this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE4YiRlKajs

Fair warning, this video is over 2 hours long. XD (feel free to PM us if you want to talk more about Souls 1 specifically, we are very much not normal about the game but don't want to derail this thread)
froglady
Member of Society of the Trident Member of Artificer's Association Member of Preservationists Association An icon depicting the element Water
CreaturesTrade

Post by froglady »

I'm old. I'm from the days of buying walkthrough books, before YouTube was a dream (before Google was in Beta). I never bought the books, but my stepson did and he still sometimes asked me where I got some piece of equipment because it wasn't in the book. I told him that if he actually played the game and used the book if/when he got stuck instead of slavishly following the book he would find things, too.

My favorite of the FF series is probably FFVI (though it was called FFIII in the US when I first played it). ChronoTrigger has to be near the top of the all-time list. I just love the inventiveness of the different time periods. And who doesn't want to be a frog knight at some point in their lives?
My join date says 2012, when I made an account I promptly forgot about until August 2023, so I'm really *gasp* a newbie. :)
I have no phobias or disliked critters. Feel free to click anything in my keep, except the "Quests" tab. I think you'll find plenty there without those 2 or 3.
darksouls
MagiStream Donor
CreaturesTrade

Post by darksouls »

froglady wrote: ↑June 2nd, 2024, 6:49:56 pm I'm old. I'm from the days of buying walkthrough books, before YouTube was a dream (before Google was in Beta).
I miss walkthrough books, I used to collect the official ones for the main Pokemon games. Nowadays we do buy art books though, we own the older one for Dark Souls. :D (because of course we do)

Return to β€œPopsicle stand”